Apr 27, 2017

Sydney Morning Herald: ‘Wild night in Coogee’ as brawling teens surround Police

  • Megan Levy


Police said they were initially called to the park about 11pm to reports that two girls were fighting.

A NSW Police spokeswoman said when the officers from the Eastern Beaches Local Area Command arrived at the park, they found the girls involved in a scuffle.

As the officers attempted to separate the pair, they were allegedly surrounded by a large group of teenagers who began brawling.

The spokeswoman said bottles were thrown at police when they attempted to disperse the crowd. One officer was struck in the head with a bottle and was treated by NSW Ambulance paramedics.

Police called for urgent back-up from neighbouring police commands, and a large number of police cars descended on the area.

One witness said there were “people everywhere” in the park opposite the Coogee Bay Hotel, with “cops and ambulances everywhere”.

Justin Taunton, a Burwood Councillor, was at a friend’s Coogee apartment at the time and said up to 20 police cars were parked along Arden Street just before 12.30am on Tuesday.

Cr Taunton told Fairfax Media that, from the first-floor balcony where he was standing, he could hear someone yell repeatedly: “Who threw that bottle?”. He also saw some people trying to attack police as they were being loaded into a paddy wagon.

Cr Taunton said he had seen “lots of drunk teenagers” wandering the streets of Coogee earlier in the night, and said the disturbance would probably be “wrongly blamed on the pubs”.

“They were only kids,” he said.

“There were lots of kids everywhere, in different groups, wandering all over the place. They were obviously drunk, but they weren’t obviously carrying alcohol around with them.”

Mr Taunton said it was unusual to see so many groups of children wandering around Coogee at night, and wondered whether the gathering had been organised on social media.

A number of cars parked along Arden Street also were damaged during the incident, police said.

Police said the three males were arrested and taken to Maroubra Police Station.

On Tuesday morning, the 14-year-old boy was charged with malicious damage and breaching bail. He was refused bail to appear at a children’s court on Tuesday.

The 16-year-old boy was charged with resisting arrest, offensive behaviour and failing to comply with police direction. He was refused bail to appear at a children’s court on Tuesday.

The 21-year-old man was charged with resisting an officer in the execution of duty, and assaulting police in the execution of duty. The man was granted conditional bail to appear at Waverley Local Court on May 31.

Story originally in the Sydney Morning Herald